Thursday, December 31, 2015

My trip to the Innisfil HackLab

First off, Happy New Year everybody! Yes, I'm working on New Year's Eve because I'm not doing anything else today.


So, a few days ago I took a trip down to the MakerSpace in Innisfil to meet Alan, one of the people who works there helping people print off their own designs, troubleshoot ideas, or cut something out on their ABSOLUTELY AMAZING LASER CUTTER! Anyways, he was nice enough to take some time to talk to me about my project and possibly supporting my project. He also invited me to next year's maker fest, which you can look at here. I'll probably be at the 2016 makerfest, but that's a ways away for now. I hope to have the printer finished by the time the festival rolls around.

During a talk with him, I realized that one of the extruders that I wanted to try was completely useless and should be abandoned immediately. For those of you who don't know what an extruder is, it's basically the piece of the printer that takes the plastic from a giant spool, melts it, and lays it down on the print bed. It's got a few different parts, and so you can see what one looks like I'll put a picture of one in the blog as well.


Anyways, thanks to that conversation, it saved me a TON of plastic and time, so that's good.


I'd like to extend my thanks again to Alan and the Innisfil library for their time, and if you get the opportunity then you should go and check it out. It's a pretty cool facility with a lot of pretty cool people. Music recording stuff, private study rooms, makerspace equipped with a laser cutter and two 3D printers. So go do that. Seriously. It's a cool place.
Alan and I at the HackLab
An Extruder

No comments:

Post a Comment